Thursday 25 September 2014

111. Certification: The Archaeology of a Box (16)

Delving down towards the bottom of my box I find a collection of certificates rolled up inside a tube originally sent to me by the LSE after I concluded a postgraduate year there in 1963-64. I was never one for framing such things and sticking them on the walls of my various offices so they are still in pristine condition.



Three of these certificates are self-explanatory.




The fourth certificate, my Honourary Dagg Award, is perhaps the most precious of them all. It will mean little to anyone who is not a Kiwi and was presented to me in the 1970s by the students in one of my first evening class courses for Auckland University's Centre for Continuing Education.


Fred Dagg was a hugely popular character created in the 1970s by film and television satirist John Clarke. Dagging sheep involves cutting away the dags (matted wool and faeces) on the sheep's bottom.



No comments:

Post a Comment